Saturday, September 12, 2009

He will wish for his Falchion at Ragnorok

Today, I am reminded of Freyr. The licentious lad once boldly and foolishly sat upon Odin's throne: This is no ordinary chair, but rather a revealing place, a seat that shows all within the nine worlds. Hlidskjalf, it is called. It's name means "trembling slope." or "precipitous place." And you would tremble, too, if you looked out upon all worlds at once.

Freyr, who lacked the wisdom of Odin -never having minded his memory as Odin had, found himself confounded by visions of beautiful Gerd. Gerd, a giant, was so lovely to the Freyr that he made himself sick from thinking of her. We can all imagine him, unable to eat or sleep or even say word one - so great his sadness weighed upon his shoulders. Desiring Gerd, he sent his servant to inquire as to courting her. To win her hand he gave his sword in Bride Price. And though he does not need it now, when Mulspiel lets out its sons for war, he will wish for it.

It occurs to me that everyday we desire things. We want wealth, status, love, sex and often we think nothing of simply casting aside the things we have in order to gain what we fixate on. Often what we want is to know more - if we could but see all sides, would we not be wise? I myself struggle with these things. I desire somethings so greatly that I ignore the prize before me.

The lessons are twofold, I think:

1) It is not all-knowing that brings wisdom, but rather that wisdom is necessary before one attempts to have all-knowledge. To do otherwise causes us to fixate on things from our weaknesses. We desire more, we grow angry more easily. Knowledge punishes the unwise.

2) Be careful when you see something you desire. Do not let it become a burden, and do not throw away the good things you have in an effort to court the things you desire.

Today's Rune is also ING, on Laugrdagr. What was sown will be reaped. This is not always positive, as poor choices can produce poor results. When thinking on this Rune, ask what have I put my effort into, and what have I sacrificed, and what have I harvested from my work?

Also, it's Washing Day. Make sure your House is in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment